What is Worship?
Worship is defined as the feeling or expression of reverence and adoration for Deity, or having strong feelings of respect and admiration for God.
Some common synonyms for worship include: Reverence, veneration, adoration, devotion, praise, thanksgiving, glorification, exultation.
Worship is the highest privilege and the first duty of all created intelligences… 27.7
Jesus encouraged us to "...employ prayer as a means of leading up through thanksgiving to true worship." 146.2
Worship, taught Jesus, makes one increasingly like the being who is worshiped. Worship is a transforming experience... 146.2
The Urantia Book also presents worship as:
- Worship is a veneration of, and a devotion to, our Father’s supreme personality, his lovable nature and his adorable attributes.
- Worship is our act of personal communion with the divine Father, the assumption of refreshing, creative, fraternal, and romantic attitudes by our soul-spirit.
- Worship is the attempt of the Spirit Within to communicate to the Father the longings and aspirations of the individual soul.
- Worship is the conscious and joyous act of recognizing and acknowledging the truth and fact of the intimate and personal relationships of the Creators with their creatures.
- Worship is the yardstick which measures the extent of the soul’s detachment from the material universe - and its simultaneous attachment to the spiritual realities of all creation.